C2C 2020 Provincial Conference
October 23-24 2020, Prince George
Save the dates! The Classrooms to Communities 2020 Provincial Conference will be held in Prince George on October 23-24. Join us as we continue to connect educators from classrooms to communities.
Details coming soon at: https://c2c-bc.org/conference
Thank you to everyone who helped make the C2C 2019 Conference a great success!
Music by Luke Wallace
Thank you to all who joined us on October 25 – 26th for our annual C2C Provincial Conference at UBC Vancouver. We are grateful that so many passionate community members are part of this growing circle of educators connecting people, place and planet. We hope you enjoyed your experiences!
From the Longhouse, storytellers and program of sessions, to the Exhibitors Fair and Networking Social, and the extraordinary field experiences on Saturday, we trust you gathered inspiration, made precious memories and grew connections, both old and new.
Many thanks to all of our Planning Committee members, storytellers, presenters, sponsors, exhibitors, volunteers, Salishan Catering and all other contributing partners. Deep gratitude to the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh and other Coast Salish peoples upon whose land we were graciously welcomed to gather.
Feedback from Conference Participants:
“I loved the overall energy of so many passionate educators working towards making our world a more thoughtful, connected place for generations to come. I am so happy that gathering events like this exist; thank you for making it happen.”
“As someone who also runs conferences, I know the time and energy that goes into something like this, and you surpassed my expectations. Thanks so very much for a such a meaningful two days. It was absolutely awesome!”
“The best people, the best day, with professional-grade speakers and presenters. Such an amazing variety of experience levels of teachers involved and the willingness of all to support growth moving forward. Keep up the good work – gathering likeminded people together at a conference like this is valuable!”
“Congratulations to your team for a successful conference! It was an amazing conference – it provided me with a lot of reflections and totally re-energized me!”
Place-Based Learning is a core foundation of our curriculum in B.C. Teachers and students across the province are excited to be inquiring about issues and priorities that matter most to our communities with a more ‘local lens’. By helping educators to connect classroom and community through a focus on people, place and planet, this professional development event hopes to inspire more promising practices and transformative learning in our schools and communities.
The Classrooms to Communities (C2C) 2019 Conference aimed to support the practice of place-based learning. The conference goals were to:
- Model Place-Based Learning through highly interactive, experiential and replicable practices.
- Share and explore success stories of place-based learning as K-12 teaching and learning that is central to BC’s curriculum.
- Inspire, support and enhance the evolving work of K-12 teachers and partners in BC schools and communities to integrate promising practices of place-based education.
- Build greater capacity and collaboration for a BC wide network of place-based education leaders/mentors, including K-12 teachers, schools, school districts, organizations, associations of K-12 teachers and all other interested partners.
This year we convened at UBC’s Vancouver Campus and featured over 40 inspiring sessions facilitated by education and community leaders from across B.C. Workshops incorporated:
- Experiential walk-shops
- Interactive dialogue sessions
- Exploration of diverse and interconnected foci such as: Place, inquiry, Indigenous perspectives, climate action, arts, play and competencies
Core Values of the Conference:
- Place-Based: Helping participants discover the value of place and community, wherever they live, teach and learn.
- Participant Engagement: Facilitating learner-centred experiences and creating space for dialogue and sharing of experiences and practices.
- Model Inquiry: Modeling a focus on inquiry through place and community, and exploring Indigenous and other perspectives on inquiry, knowledge and understanding.
- Experiential: Immersing participants in place through lived experience.
- Walk the Talk: Ensuring the event is inclusive and respectful of all people and sustainable to the greatest extent possible.
The conference consisted of a variety of place-based workshops, experiences, gatherings, community-based excursions and opportunities for collaboration and dialogue. Collaborative, co-delivered offerings celebrated shared successes and goals related to place-based learning were encouraged.
Friday, Oct. 25
Venues on UBC Vancouver Campus, on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Musqueam people, included:
- UBC Longhouse (First Nations House of Learning)
- Breakout spaces (indoor and outdoor) around campus
- Robert H Lee Alumni Centre
Saturday, Oct. 26
- Field Experience Venues around the Region
C2C 2019 convened both school-based and community-based educators, as well as other community members committed to place-based, community-connected learning in a wide range of settings, including:
- Administrators and Policy-makers
- Post-Secondary Instructors/Professors
- Community-based Educators
- Educators who work with elementary schools
- Educators who work with high schools
- Early Childhood Educators
- Elementary School Teachers
- Secondary School Teachers
- Teacher Candidates
- Teacher Educators
- Other (please indicate)
Proposed Future Conference Dates & Locations:
October 23-24, 2020 – Prince George
October 2021 – Vancouver Island
October 2022 – Kootenays